Advertisement

Search Out Horse, Cross Hands, Turn and Kick, Brush Knee Punch Down. Taijiquan Calendar Series.

Search Out Horse, Cross Hands, Turn and Kick, Brush Knee Punch Down. Taijiquan Calendar Series. Support this project at www.patreon.com/watchjavi

Search Out Horse, Cross Hands, Turn and Kick, Brush Knee Punch Down
We are going through 4 different postures and looping a small sequence. We are just about to finish with Cross Hands and I want to have another drill just because it’s one of those isolated postures that is not repeated like the others. In this case I use its natural sequence from the form and find a place to loop it.
You can begin from Punch Down or from Search Out the Horse. Then go into Cross Hands, and as the form goes, then continue to Turn and Kick. Just remember to Brush Knee before Punch Down. In today’s drill I’m deciding to do more of a seal down before I punch. In the previous drill on June 15th, I used more of a pluck to the side before the punch.
One of the things to keep in mind is that it is difficult not to turn fast on the Turn and Kick. I have a habit of turning around fast, but I want to also be able to perform it slow as Taijiquan requires. What allows for this is the pivoting of the feet without pulling the root up. This is one of the things I’m still working on.
One last thing that I notice from watching myself is that on that same turn, I drop the hands too low. When you are turning around to face an opponent, the hands should be more prepared to engage. The reason I drop them that low is because I mostly focus on the qigong aspects. This means that I’m focusing on relaxing the tissues after each posture. What else do you see from the videos? Let me know.

Series.

Post a Comment

0 Comments