Advertisement

What makes 'The Black Page' so difficult?

What makes 'The Black Page' so difficult? Frank Zappa's "Black Page #1" is known for being difficult to play. But is it? If so, why? I decided to learn it to find out.

Here I document the process of learning "The Black Page" on the drums, from start to finish. I spent one week learning this piece before recording the final performance at the end of the video.

The drums are unedited and the MIDI backing track is 100% quantized. It's not easy to line everything up, but with practice, you can do it!

PS - For those interested in learning these types of rhythms, I highly recommend Mike Mangini's "Rhythm Knowledge" books. Volume 2, in particular, has a plethora of exercises pertaining to tuplets and counting that have helped me out tremendously over the years.

Listen to my band Sungazer:
○ Spotify:
○ iTunes:
○ Facebook:

Follow me on Instagram:

shawn crowder,drums,drummer,drumming,drum set,drum kit,drum,adam neely,bass,lesson,sungazer,band,mike mangini,mark giuliana,matt garstka,virgil donati,zach danziger,dave weckl,music,jazz,electronic,edm,fusion,prog,prog rock,progressive rock,animals as leaders,drum solo,anika nilles,frank zappa,zappa,terry bozzio,vinnie colaiuta,rock,steve vai,tuplet,nested tuplets,rhythm,polyrhythm,nested rhythm,quintuplet,

Post a Comment

0 Comments