Advertisement

Wife Swap NZ: Strict vs non-strict - the dullest episode yet

Wife Swap NZ: Strict vs non-strict - the dullest episode yet REVIEW: Wife Swap is a weird one. I'm always so bored watching it. Even when certain elements of an episode wind me up and make me angry, it's still boring. Some episodes are so boring that I struggle to come up with literally anything to write about at all, and that's definitely the case this week. READ MORE: * Wife Swap NZ: The cheerleading coach and the single mum * Wife Swap: NZ's horror show * There's room for both TVNZ and Netflix The show isn't boring because it lacks 'drama', I don't need TV to be full of chaos and fabricated conflict in order for it to hold my attention. That's not what people are into these days. One of my favourite shows on Netflix is Chef's Table. That show isn't full of fabricated drama or rammed with fake-hype, instead Chef's Table always consistently does one thing well and that's storytelling. People love good storytelling. All it takes is a decent narrative to turn something dull into something really interesting. I am still yet to see an episode of Wife Swap that resembles anything close to good storytelling. I can't tell if this show is trying to be a serious documentary or a dramatic reality show. Either way it doesn't matter because it's failing at both. Anyway, here's what happened this week, lol.  The show is pitched as 'one mum who is really strict' and 'the other mum who is not really that strict'.  Apparently these families couldn't be more different. Apart from that they could, because they're both literally two parent, two children families, living in Auckland earning around the same amount per year.  Immediately my instincts are backing the not-strict mum. It's my bias because my mum is very much a not-strict mum and she always has been. I have memories of her letting us use an outdoor fire pit with our friends when we were about 17. It was illegal to have an outdoor fire-pit in a suburban area so my mum came outside with a potato wrapped up in tin-foil. She then placed that potato in the fire pit and said, "So now, if the cops come, they can't tell you off because it's actually a bbq that we're using for cooking and it's allowed." If we ignore the fact that my mum was absolutely wrong about that, it shows the level of 'not-strict' she is. So yeah, I guess you could say she's pretty chill. I don't want to say anything too mean about the non-strict dad on this show because I know their kids are old enough to Google themselves and read this. If you are reading this, your dad is a great guy and he loves you loads and I'm just a nobody stand-up comedian talking trash. But overall, the non-strict family dad gives me a weird vibe. First off he keeps wearing a shiny t-shirt with spikes printed on it. If you're reading this and you also have that t-shirt, please put it in a fire-pit with a baked potato immediately. In one scene, the strict family dad decides to literally sit on the same chair as the mum, at the dinner table. He, like, straddles behind her while they're eating and it is proper cringe. However

episode

Post a Comment

0 Comments